Sunday, July 19, 2009

So, how many staples do you have in your chest?

I currently have 18 in mine. That's because I just had my first battery replacement surgery for my DBS pulse generator. It has been almost 3 years since the whole shebang was installed and the battery needed to be changed - it was in danger of running out of power. So, I went in on Friday morning at 6AM, was wheeled into the OR around 9AM, and was in the recovery room at 10:30AM. Home by noon. Big difference from the original surgery wouldn't you say?

All in all it was a very well orchestrated procedure and I don't remember much of anything after entering the OR. I recall talking to the doctor about Michael Jackson and Thriller and also remember talking to someone who was restarting the device after it had been sewn up in place. Don't ask me what we talked about though ... I have no idea.

A few pain pills here and there have made the recovery pretty easy so far. Took the bandage off today and a quick shower helped to make me feel somewhat normal again.

2 comments:

Grandpa: said...

Staples? I thought crazy glue was the "in" thing now.
It all sounds simple enough but we all know that "out-patient" is rarely as simple as the name suggests.
Glad you're up and around.

Lauri Dilbeck said...

I certainly hope they used a Swingline. Those really are the best staplers. And I understand the red ones are coveted.